Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sahib Mera Eko Hai

There are some out there who seem to think that Sikhs are Hindus, or some that believe we are Muslims. Sikhism is an interesting faith. We recognize all faiths:

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:
Some call Him, 'Raam, Raam', and some call Him, 'Khudaa-i'.
Some serve Him as 'Gusain', others as 'Allaah'. ||1||
He is the Cause of causes, the Generous Lord.
He showers His Grace and Mercy upon us. ||1||Pause||
Some bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and some make the pilgrimage to Mecca.
Some perform devotional worship services, and some bow their heads in prayer. ||2||
Some read the Vedas, and some the Koran.
Some wear blue robes, and some wear white. ||3||
Some call themselves Muslim, and some call themselves Hindu.
Some yearn for paradise, and others long for heaven. ||4||
Says Nanak, one who realizes the Hukam of God's Will,
knows the secrets of his Lord and Master. ||5||9|| (SGGS 885)
...but yet, we are neither:
Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:
I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan.
I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1||
The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.
He adminsters justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause||
I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines.
I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2||
I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.
I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. ||3||
I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.
My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. ||4||
Says Kabeer, this is what I say: meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher,
I realize God, my Lord and Master. ||5||3|| (SGGS 1136)
Its the reason why I take pride in being a Sikh, a Khalsa. By protecting the right of others to pray to the one Waheguroo, we separate ourselves from all others: the faiths that force themselves upon others. For not only do we share the same race, we also share the same lord, the same boss, the same father!
saahib maeraa eaeko hai || eaeko hai bhaaee eaeko hai ||1|| (SGGS 350)

No comments: